Friday, November 03, 2006

The Big Day...


Well the big due date, July 29th, came and went! I was really getting anxious and could barely wait for my next doctor's appointment. We saw Dr. Stevens on Wednesday, August 2nd and with no progress, she suggested that we induce labor the next day... my birthday! I did some soul searching and with the advice and wisdom of good friends came to the realization that having a child on your birthday is the best gift you could ever wish for when you blow out your candles.

Doug and I arrived at the hospital the afternoon of August 3rd, it was go time! They began with a gel application to speed up effacement and promote dialation. My birthday passed and still no baby. The morning report indicated that this process made no progress so they started a potossin drip. With breathing through really strong contractions well into the afternoon, there was still no progress and Dr. Gates decided to break my water. Within minutes, I couldn't take the pain anymore and asked for an epidural... yes, it was a little bit of heaven! I fell asleep for about and hour and Doug had lunch. The doctor returned to check my progress and I couldn't believe what he said. I had progressed from 3cm to 10cm in 45 minutes and it was time to push!

No comments: