Monday, March 02, 2009

Why Ask Why?

When heartbreak happens again, and yet again, it's easy to fall into the habit of asking, "Why?"

- Why me God?

- Why again?

- Why can't we have another baby?

- Why can't Addie be a big sister?

- Why can't the tears stop falling?

If you ask the question enough, He will give you an answer. I may be down-n-out in the baby-makin' department, but my cup runnith over when it comes to being surrounded by caring, compassionate people on a daily basis. I am lucky enough to call the majority of my co-workers dear friends and each of them made a very hard day, much easier than I expected.

Today was my first day back at work in 3 weeks. I was giving myself a real honest to goodness "Rah-rah, you can do it Angie" pep talk pulling into the parking lot and walking up to the school. I swung the doors open and literally the flood gates opened up and ol' water-works lost it. In for the rescue came Lauri with a hug, an open ear and a Starbucks green tea. Lauri listened to me babble endlessly, and all with a smile on her face, knowing I just needed to talk myself through it one more time, before the first bell rang and my kiddos headed to class. And it didn't stop at Lauri this morning. Throughout the day I received hugs and welcome backs from the same people who have baked for us, sent cards and flowers to our home, and surrounded our family with their prayers and well wishes.

Tonight Sarah phoned me and told me that I had a surprise in the mailbox. I'll be honest, I ran out in the freezing cold, half expecting to find a container of cole slaw... she makes the best dang cole slaw and knows it always makes my day! But to my surprise I found an awesome package from a group of teachers I used to run/train with, gifting me with a day spa gift card. Literally, I was floored. I ran back into the house and turned to Doug, tearing up again... he and I talked and realized that sometimes when you feel the lowest is when you realize how blessed we are to be surrounded by friends who will lift you up.

Thank you to all of you for being such a great support system. I can only hope that I am as good a friend to all of you as you have been to me. I am forever grateful for having each of you in my life!

1 comment:

The Maines Family Blog said...

True Blessing to work with such wonderful people/friends!!!