Tuesday, December 08, 2009

Find the Spirit... Live the Word

Our church, Northview Christian Life, this holiday season is "Thinking Outside The Box."

Some Food For Thought...

He didn’t come to help us drown in consumerism, to get the “must have” toy of the year, or rack up credit card debt. He came to teach us love, hope and truth. And to ultimately save our lives. This Christmas, our church is inviting us to experience Christmas outside of the tree, the toys, the ribbons and bows. To trade in consumerism for compassion.

Last week's sermon, Dec. 5/6, was on Children. This might have been one of the most moving and emotional services I have ever attended. Through a video documentary, we were introduced to 2 young children, a brother and a sister, in Africa. Their story moved me to tears, so much so, that I had to leave the service to regain my composure. This video completely shook me to my core and the images portrayed will forever be embedded in my brain and singed on my heart.

I encourage you to view the sermon, especially the video clip through the NVCL link above. Once on the home page, click Watch/Listen. You can find out more information on missions and needs of children in Africa through Horizon International.

Upcoming topics at NVCL:
Dec.12/13: Poverty
Dec. 19/20: Injustice
Dec. 24: Hope

Scripture I am hoping to live by...

"He who oppresses the poor shows contempt for their Maker, but whoever is kind to the needy honors God." Proverbs 14:31

"Speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves, for the rights of all who are destitute." Proverbs 31:8

No comments: